Skip to content

Submarine Cables vulnerable to Cyber Attacks

The internet connects people worldwide through underwater cables spanning the depths of the ocean. However, these cables are susceptible to digital attacks that have the potential to trigger global internet disruptions lasting for days or even weeks.

Geopolitical tensions could prompt adversarial forces to launch cyber assaults on the interconnected web. For example, amidst the mounting challenges faced by Vladimir Putin, there is a looming possibility that he might initiate a cyber warfare campaign against the rest of the world by sabotaging the undersea cables linking Asia with the Western countries.

Approximately 30% of data and voice communication relies on satellite technology, while the remaining 70% heavily relies on the interconnected web, which predominantly employs submarine fiber optic cables. The United States has already encountered a similar predicament in April 2022 when its specialized security forces at the Pentagon thwarted an underwater cable attack.

Cloud service providers, responsible for maintaining data centers worldwide, heavily depend on undersea cables. Consequently, any disruption to these cables could inflict lasting damage on their hosting services, with potentially irreversible consequences.

Key points:
– Underwater cables are susceptible to digital attacks that have the potential to trigger global internet disruptions.
– Geopolitical tensions could prompt adversarial forces to launch cyber assaults on the interconnected web.
– Approximately 70% of data and voice communication relies on the interconnected web, which predominantly employs submarine fiber optic cables.
– Cloud service providers heavily depend on undersea cables, and any disruption to these cables could inflict lasting damage on their hosting services.
– Specialized security forces at the Pentagon thwarted an underwater cable attack in April 2022.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *